Friday, December 02, 2011

Hiddenleaf's Snowflake Cut

Even I am residing in Baltimore, far away from other fellow shinobies, my passion on making simple experiment for children is still alive. This is my newest "jutsu": hiddenleaf's snowflake cut.

It was Nana who played an online games from pbskids.org/sid/ presenting a winter scenery. Accompanied her playing one of the game module, I was curious to make a snowflake cut. The easiest way, of course, is by changing the flower pattern cut from hiddenleaf's paper flower experiment into a snowflake pattern. After I made the modified cut, I realized that the flower pattern only produces octagonal snowflakes. Meanwhile, common snowflakes on people mind are hexagonal.

I knew the idea of making snowflake cut is not original. Despite of searching the cut on the internet, I was thrilled to find my own hiddenleaf's style snowflake cut. It's very interesting finding your own way to do something, even it sounds stupid.

And here is the cut:

To make a snowflake cut you need a square paper (rectangle shape also works) and a scissors.

1. Fold the paper twice as shown on step no.1 and no.2.

2. The trickiest step is dividing the 90 degree corner into three 30 degree angle, as shown on step no.3

3. You can modify the cut pattern as shown on step no.4 as you like.

4. After you cut it down, unfold the paper and voila...

I will let you find how it looks by yourself (^^,a

P.S.: this simple experiment can be used to teach geometry

No comments: